Soups. I’ve learned that either you LOVE them or you HATE them. I enjoy them but my son HATES them!
I love the flavor and texture of homemade chicken noodle soup. I mean, who doesn’t right?!? Well, my son doesn’t. And I refuse to cook more than one meal at each meal time, so I was determined to come up with a solution to this problem.
This recipe did the trick!! It works great with whole wheat egg noodles OR spaghetti squash. Since I’m always finding ways to sneak in extra veggies and since we LOVE spaghetti squash, that is our “noodle” of choice. Plus, the spaghetti squash not only adds extra FIBER, but also extra FLAVOR while reducing carbs!!
(Don’t be intimated by the thought of cooking spaghetti squash! It’s actually quite simple…check it out here.)
This recipe calls for cream soup. While you can most certainly use store-bought cream soup, I prefer to use homemade cream soup. This is something I have prepared (in a huge batch) ahead of time and keep frozen in my chest freezer. I simply pull a “can” out a few days before I need it and place it in the fridge to thaw. Simply give it a little stir or shake and it’s good to go!!
I have found that this recipe is super easy to double and then freeze half of it for future use. It makes busy weeknight dinners a breeze!!
Note: This recipe uses foods from the Portion Fix food lists, so it would be “portion fix approved”. However, I do not have the science to defend the container counts. I simply measured using the containers and made my best estimate. This is NOT a Fixate recipe. It does, however fit the 2B Mindset plate-it method.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
Serving Size: 2 cups
Portion Fix Container Counts: 1½ Green, 1 Red
1 large spaghetti squash, cooked
4 cups shredded chicken
3 cups frozen mixed veggies, thawed
1 can homemade cream soup
**If using store-bought soup, add ½ cup unsweetened almond milk**
½ tablespoon minced onion
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9×13 dish with Pam.
2. Combine all ingredients EXCEPT spaghetti squash in large bowl. Mix well.
3. Add cooked spaghetti squash and GENTLY combine all ingredients.
4. Pour into prepared dish.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven and let stand 5+ minutes before serving.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
A fun, clean, veggie heavy alternative to chicken soup in a CASSEROLE. Portion Fix Container Count included, 2B Mindset friendly.
Portion Fix Container Count: 1 ½ Green, 1 Red
- 1 large spaghetti squash, cooked
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 3 cups frozen mixed veggies, thawed -1 can homemade cream soup
- **If using store-bought soup, add ½ cup unsweetened almond milk**
- ½ tablespoon minced onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9×13 dish with Pam.
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT spaghetti squash in large bowl. Mix well.
- Add cooked spaghetti squash and GENTLY combine all ingredients.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven and let stand 5+ minutes before serving.